1.07.2006

BEST TV OF 2005!!!

Yeah, I'm going to continue making these lists until about mid-March, so bare with me...


24

The new season starts next week and if it's anything like last season, you're in for one hell of a ride! The gimmick about the "real time" could've easily blown up in their faces, but they have some amazing writers on this show and truly have you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire hour. (The last 5 minutes are usually so intense I end up cursing out the screen! "YOU CAN'T FUCKING END IT LIKE THAT!!! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NOW!!!) If you've never given the show a try, check it out. The best part of waiting to premere it in January is NO FUCKING REPEATS! You hear me? Every single week until the month of May you get a fresh new episode! All TV shows should have the balls to do that.


LOST

Again, the "plane crashing on a deserted island" gimmick could've been so corny if it wasn't like the LEAST interesting part of the show! Sure, the island has tons of mysteries, but the characters are what makes LOST so damn addictive. Every episode takes a character and tells a part of their past in flashbacks while discovering clues about what exactly this island is all about. It's been awhile since something has been this smart and intriguing on television. It's easily my favorite drama on TV.


ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

Easily the funniest thing on television. Yes, I know the REST OF AMERICA could give a flying fuck, but this show is very, very, very funny. If there's any justice in the world either ABC or Showtime will finalize the deals and produce more episodes and give it a decent timeslot. FOX has screwed over plenty of good shows, they don't deserve to ruin this one any longer. There's only like 4 or 5 episodes left this season...if you haven't ever watched it, check it out. I guarantee you'll laugh your nuts off...unless you don't have nuts. In which case, you must have already BEEN a fan. (note to self, quit updating your blog at wee hours in the morning...)


SIX FEET UNDER

Best HBO show in my opinion. I was glad it went out on a high note instead of dragging on until it got boring. The season finale was beautiful and honestly, I could've have wanted it to end any other way. One of the best season finales of all time. Go rent the DVD's if you've never checked it out. It'll have you hooked from the very begining.


THE OFFICE

My personal favorite overall show on TV. I'd call it a comedy, but honestly it's the love story between Pam and Jim that has me tuning in week after week. I was a HUGE fan of the BBC version and expected this one to suck reeeeeeally bad. Luckily I was wrong and it's slowly but surely finding it's groove. Just got bumped to Thursday nights with MY NAME IS EARL, so you should easily be able to find it now.

OTHER SHOWS I LOVED BUT AM TOO LAZY TO HUNT DOWN PHOTOS OF:
* COMMEDIANS OF COMEDY
* 30 DAYS
* REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
* COUNTDOWN WITH KEITH OLBERMANN
* THE DAILY SHOW / COLBERT REPORT

SHOWS I WISHED I WATCHED:
* THE STAIRCASE - Never even heard of it until I started reading other people's BEST TV OF 2005 Lists. Now I have it on the way from Blockcuster Online as we speak!
* PENN & TELLER'S BULLSHIT - since I don't have Showtime I have to wait until the DVD's come out
* RESCUE ME - always forget it's on and then get so far behind figure I'll just wait until the entire season is on DVD
* THE SHIELD - people tell me this is damn good and right up there with 24...I'll probably check it out one of these days.
* BEST WEEK EVER - love it when I remember it's on! Also, has the same timeslot as REAL TIME, so it's always going to lose that battle. (Shut up those of you with TiVOS...I can't hear you nah nah naaaaaah nah)
* CURRENT TV - one of these days my backward-ass-cable company will give us this channel...right?!

GREAT CAST, HORRIBLE WRITING:
* SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE - C'mon...I could write better than the shit that makes it to the air. But the cast is seriously the best it's been in years.

SHOW I THINK MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER IF THEY GAVE IT A SECOND SEASON:
* OVER THERE - The subplot with the kid who got his leg blown off and had to re-adjust his life back in the states was so stretched out and boring, but the scenes over in Iraq were amazing. The entire episode where they had to sit and patrol a checkpoint station and shoot anyone who wouldn't stop had me on the edge of my seat the whole hour.

No comments: