9.25.2007

NEW MUSIC 9.25.07 (WHY MOLLY IS GOING TO KILL ME)


MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO * THE WORLD HAS MADE ME THE MAN OF MY DREAMS
I've always admired Meshell ever since the cover to COOKIE: THE MIXTAPE inspired me to pick it up and give it a listen. (It's a monkey!!! Wearing headphones!!!) I haven't listened to this one enough to give a general idea of if I like it or not. But I imagine it's going to be the perfect music to have on in the background while I'm shading my comics or just tripping out on acid. (kidding! I'm totally into smack now!)


GOIN' HOME * TRIBUTE TO FATS DOMINO
I had no idea the amount of awesome songs Fats gave us until I picked up this double disc set today. Blueberry Hill...sure, but My Blue Heaven? I love that song! I Hear You Knockin?! Maybe I'm just an idiot. Anyway, this poor bastard was IN New Orleans when Katrina hit and this album is helping raise money not for him, but his favorite charities. (It's better than that shitty Darfur collection, so there!)


IRON & WINE * THE SHEPHERD'S DOG
Very quiet, very sweet, very much a perfect way to spend a cloudy day like today. If you've only heard Iron & Wine on that M&M commercial, buy this album and sit with the "cool kids" at lunch.


STEVE EARLE * WASHINGTON SQUARE SERENADE
Not as loud or political as his last studio offerings were, but the lyrics are still there and are as powerful as ever. Plus, the man knows how to write some really beautiful love songs! He's also going to play a larger role on next year's final season of HBO's THE WIRE, so they tossed his cover of Tom Waits "Way Down In The Whole" on here since it also serves as the theme song.


NELLIE MCKAY * OBLIGATORY VILLAGERS
Already downloaded some of these tracks before picking it up today. It's a quick, (under half an hour) weird mash of songs, poetry, and just lots of different musical stylings. Oh, and it's damn good!!!


JOSE GONZALEZ * IN OUR NATURE
This is for those of you who think Iron & Wine are too uplifting and not mellow enough. Jose released an amazing album last year (one of my top-ten picks!) and as soon as I find a record store that actually got it in today, I'm sure I'll love this one just as much!


KT TUNSTALL * DRASTIC FANTASTIC
Picked this up mostly for Molly, but dammit if it ain't catchy. Like Norah Jones, probably not the best way to look "manly" with having this in your musical collection, but who the fuck cares. It's not like she's James Blunt.


EDDIE VEDDER * INTO THE WILD SOUNDTRACK
Wish it was longer, (only about a half hour) but it never wastes a second. Only makes me want to see the movie even more and makes me wonder why more artists don't use ukuleles?!

No comments: