7.21.2005

SAN DIEGO COMICON!!!

Alright, where to begin?! I guess I'll just throw photos up here and comment on them. Begining with...

They were handing these out to EVERYONE this year. I mean, at least I do get some work published through various newspapers and whatnot...the "Pro Line" was like a city block long this year. In-sane.

I flew out on Wednesday (for Preview Night) on Southwest. I swear to God, our pilot ended the flight by annoucing, "Please keep your seatbelts locked until the flight is terminated." I was waiting for a "Oh, and DEATH TO AMERICA..." I mean, who fucking says THAT on an airplane?!

So anyway, Daniel and I check into our hotel (the Wyndham downtown) which I had never stayed at before. In fact, all I knew about it was that I could drive straight through it in Midnight Club 3...and it had green neon on the top of it. Turns out, it had green neon everywhere...


So we ended up going to Preview Night, waiting in the Pro Line for like an hour at least and walking around the hall for maybe 45 minutes or so. Then, Daniel and I met up with Hector Casanova and Steven Sanders (other KC comic artists) and spending waaaaaay too much money in a hotel bar. ($12.00 for a lukewarm cheeseburger and cold fries?! Fuck you, very much!)


That was pretty much for Wednesday...Thursday we got up and headed on down to the McDonalds on the way to the convention center. And the only reason I even mention that is because every single time I visit a McDonalds in California, they always have some futuristic shit going on. Two years ago it was using your ATM card to pay for your food and this year it was this...

Yes...order your McFood ONLINE! What kind of a fucking hurry are you in that you can't wait in line at a FAST FOOD resturant?! Ugh, 45 seconds?! I want it NOW!!!! I can't wait for this shit to hit the Midwest. "But, I ordered my McRib off the fancy box!"

Thursday night I got together with my friend Jon. He's in the Navy and I really should've kept my mouth shut when it came to George W Bush and how he's fucking this country in the ass. I mean, the guy is KINDA the whole "Commander In Chief" thing and I sensed Jon just being quiet and waiting for me to talk about something ELSE...

He took me to the Yardhouse which gets it's name from these beer glasses they have that are seriously a YARD long...no, I didn't buy one. My penis isn't big enough to attempt something like that, so instead I drank my Tecate and listened to Jon's love problems.


Friday was fun. I had met most of the publishers I needed to try and impress and began to just walk around and have fun on Friday. No, no one was "dying to pick up Foxymoron" but that's okay. This was the first year I was trying to "sell myself" and honestly, it would've been odd to get a comic gig right off the start. Besides, It all adds up to help my "strugling artist" image...

I met Matt Groening, yes again. I try and run into him every year. I fucking love the bastard. I mean, he creates the Simpsons, makes more money than God and STILL puts out Life in Hell every single week. Pure love for the artform...Oh, and check out these cool Life in Hell vinyl figures that may or may not be coming out soon...


Friday night is was time to head off to the Hyatt where all the "industry types" hang out. I met up with Jamie Rich (confessions123.blogspot.com) and Kelly Sue (kellysue.com) plus tons of other cool people. Ieven bought Jamie a drink, which might have been a mistake, because he kept grabbing my ass and/or picking me up the rest of the trip. Molly told me before I left for the trip to "Do whatever it takes to get a job" and I guess he heard her somehow...but he's not even an editor any more, just a writer. So I think that would do more damage than good...

Saturday started off with the SUPERMAN RETURNS panel with Bryan Singer. You have no idea how AMAZING this film is going to be. The lead actor, Brandon Routh or whoever, NAILS the whole "Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent." He plays it as an homage, not just "here's me acting like Christopher Reeves." They showed a 2 minute trailer and as soon as it hits the net, you will see how this thing is going to be HUGE! It sucks that it won't be out until NEXT Summer...they'll probably have more about it at next year's con...

I also spent plenty of time on Saturday taking my favorite photos...Costumed Characters Doing Ordinary Things! Here are my favorites:

Batman has to have his mom come pick him up, I guess...

I guess them commercials ain't paying the Blue Man Group enough...

Hey, Jedi Pilots need comics and action figures too!!!!

Even Stormtroopers need a smoke break...

Poor Cap'n America...with the Nazi killed and gone, he's got to pay the bills SOMEHOW...


Okay...that's it for now...I'll post more pics later on. But I think that's enough nerdfest for you for right now.

1 comment:

cml said...

oh, Captain America, how the mighty have fallen. Don't you know that all the cool has-been crimefighters are selling Coke, not Pepsi?