1.17.2006

MUSIC PICKS FOR 1.17.06

Another Tuesday, another reason to spend $20 at the local record shop. Since nothing good actually came out today, I bought some things I had have my eye on for a lil' while.


NELLIE MCKAY * GET AWAY FROM ME

Yes, I know I'm about two years too late getting this album, but shut it. All that matters is that I have it now and I love the hell out of it. It's funny how the reviews on Amazon keep bringing up the "potty mouth" thing. I've listened to the album a couple of times and it's hardly a "fuckfest." (though that's never a bad thing, is it?!) My sister-in-law Meg actually reminded me that I've never picked this album up yet, with all the talk about Columbia not wanting to release her new album the way she wants to (you'd think they'd learn't their lesson with Fiona?!) and I simply adored her version of "If I Needed Someone" on the Rubber Soul tribute album a few months back...so I broke down today and picked it up. She's got amazing talent and reminds me of Jamie Cullum in that she's taking old styles and mixing them with current surroundings. Her use of political themes were a nice touch as well. Overall, I have a weakness for strong, sexy women who know what they want and aren't afraid to say it, so really...I'm shocked it took me this long to pick it up...


SHE WANTS REVENGE * THESE THINGS (EP)

I think "Tear You Apart" is the new "Fuck You Like An Animal" of this decade. It's catchy, (like Closer) and makes you kinda blush and giggle at the same time. So, I bought this 4-song EP from SHE WANTS REVENGE today. Not bad. You can obviously hear the Interpol and Joy Divison in there, but it's MUCH better than 99% of the other shit on the radio. Plus it was like $2.99...that's cheaper than buying the songs off of iTunes!


THE FLAMING LIPS * THE W.A.N.D. (SINGLE)

Speaking of iTunes...you all have downloaded the new FLAMING LIPS single off there, riiiiiight?! (or you stealers might have gotten it from other sites) Now, if April 4th will hurry up and get here and bring along the copy of AT WAR WITH THE MYSTICS that I've been waiting three years for with it, the world would be a much better place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should have burned a copy of Nellie for you... next time... sorry bout that!

Travis said...

blah, it's not a problem! I still have tons of things I'm supposed to burn for you...

You still like Marilyn Manson, right?!