3.20.2007

THE NEVERENDING WAR.

If only this war had one of them awesome giant white flying dogs things...then, all would be swell. But since we're talking about make-believe hogwash, check out this quote from our beloved President on the fourth anniversary of the Iraq War:

"Four years after this war began, the fight is difficult, but it can be won," Bush said. "It will be won if we have the courage and resolve to see it through."

Isn't that nice. All we need is courage and resolve. Oh, and while we're at it, some magic pixie dust wouldn't hurt...

This reminds me of those "motivational speakers" that used to come to my grade school and middle school. You know, the ones that would fill your head with that, "If you work real hard, you can do ANYTHING you want!" Which sounds nice. But you know, I reeeeeeeally wanted to be a basketball player. I practiced all the damn time and hussled my ass off. But you know, after awhile I figured out that being 5'5" isn't going to cut it. I faced reality and gave that "Just dream and hope and pray real hard" bullshit out the window. You got to face the facts in life. You can't win everything and you sure as hell can't just ask for more "courage and resolve" in order to win a fucking war. Guess what Mr. President...YOU started this war and it's YOUR mess. Try and blame anyone you want for "cutting and running" or whatever other label you want to put on a withdraw. But after awhile, Americans get tired of seeing their young men and women come home without legs and arms and brain damage. Or even worse yet, dead.

I did this two years ago for a small college newspaper in Warrensburg, Missouri. I honestly thought this bullshit war would be over by now. Sadly, this comic is still as relevant today as it was back then.

No comments: